Monday, October 11, 2010

Mushroom Stoganoff and menu planning-

First of all I have to confess- trying not to eat out has been a total failure! I was under the weather some last week, and that really effected things, because Josh really can't cook! He can make eggs and rice, but that is the extent of his talents in the kitchen. So we are starting over with the eating out freeze.

I have also planned 2 weeks worth of menus, and bought the ingredients for them. I also came to a new realization. Josh doesn't mind eating the same thing over and over again and neither do I! So why am I racking my brain trying to come up with new and interesting things to cook, when my husband and I are both happy with a menu with a little more simplicity? For example Josh really likes eating chili and watching football on Sunday. If every Sunday were to turn into 'Chili Football Sunday.' then I could plan my chili every Sunday and cook it in the crockpot. EASY!

I'm not saying Chili Football Sunday might not get a little old after a few month, but at least for now I think it's an easy way to do things.

So here is my menu for the next two weeks:
Monday: Mushroom Stroganoff with peas over wheat noodles (v) (c)
Tuesday: Asian cabbage salad with grilled fish or tofu
Wednesday: Soup and sandwiches
Thursday: Pizza with pre-made dough from trader joes and side salad. (v)
Friday: Mushroom and wild rice soup (v) (c) (Stock made with Stroganoff-this is more a left over night, it just looks brand ne.)
Saturday: Curry quinoa with apples and honey mint glaze and warm chicken
Sunday: Chili Football Sunday! (c)

Monday: Grilled polenta with mushroom demi-glaze and side salad (v)
Tuesday: fish or fake chicken soft tacos with black beans and sweet chipotle broccoli
Wednesday: Soup and sandwiches
Thursday: Left over chili made into tamale pie (v)
Friday: Curry and coconut milk soup (v) (c) with thai potstickers
Saturday: unsure- Often times we go see my parents on Friday night- so Friday night might be moved to Saturday
Sunday: Chili Football Sunday! (v) (c)

(v)=vegetarian
(c)=Crock pot meal

A lot of these meals are really simple and easy- but I do also have some simple meals as back up plans- suck as pasta, and cold sandwiches with salad in case I have a day I just don't feel like cooking!

Finally here is how I made the Mushroom stroganoff.
Ingredients:
3 cups chopped button mushrooms
1 onion diced
2 gloves garlic
2 cups mushroom stock
2 pads of butter
1 cup white wine divided
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup frozen peas
1/4 cup flour
2 Tbls Sour cream
1/4 cup chopped parsley
8oz egg noodles

In a crock pot add
button mushrooms
onion diced
gloves garlic
cups mushroom stock
pads of butter
1/2 cup whit wine (1/2 cup to drink ha ha ha)
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Set to low heat all day.

Day of:
Cook 8oz of egg noodles or wide whole wheat noodles until done- drain and set aside.

Mix handful of flour with 1/2 cup of water until there are no lumps and mix into crock pot.
Also mix 1 cup of frozen peas
Cook on high
Mix in 2 Tbsp of sour cream and 1/4 cup of chopped parsley

Top egg noodles with stroganoff

It was delightful!

No comments: