Wednesday, September 15, 2010

New creations with old food


The other day I realized that there was a costco size (3lbs) tub of cottage cheese in my fridge that needs to be used by next week, and eggs that are sell by tomorrow. So I decided to pull a recipe out of the depths of my mind that I read a few weeks back for 'Cottage cheese loaf''-I know it sounded gross to me at first too! But the reviews were really positive so I decide that it was worth trying.

Part of the problem with eating vegetarian is that there are not a lot of comfort foods out there that are vegetarian and easy to make. Because most of us think of the foods of our childhood on rainy days like today, we crave things like meat loaf, and chicken soup. If there is a vegetarian option, typically it's hard to make, and doesn't taste anything like the original dish. This on the other hand tastes just like meat loaf! I really honestly enjoyed it.
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Cottage-Cheese-Roast/Detail.aspx

I adapted this recipe to look like this-

1 1/2 cup cottage cheese
3 eggs, beaten
1 (1 ounce) envelope dry onion soup mix
1 1/2 cups instant oatmeal (this is what my mom would replace the crackers or cereal with when I was young)
Oil to grease the pan
ketchup or thinned tomato paste for the top.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a loaf pan.
In a large bowl, combine cottage cheese, eggs, soup mix, oatmeal. Spoon into prepared pan.
Bake in preheated oven for 60 minutes.

The greatest thing is that this recipe isn't that it tastes like meat loaf, but I didn't have to go out and buy anything special to make it. I managed to adapt the original recipe from things I have around the house. I can now add a wonderful meatloaf to my archive of recipes and this spending freeze is really making me try new things with the items I already have on hand. That makes me pretty happy!

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

You didn't say if it was actually good or not... so??

Laura said...

It was good! Husband ate 2 slices and plans to eat it again for lunch.