Monday, September 13, 2010

Texts always lead to pondering-

Within less then two weeks I got two texts from two people who are in two different states telling me the same things. Lyrics of an old song about counting my blessings, and naming them one by one to see what the Lord has done. This wasn't one of those "lets both text Laura the same thing as a joke" type of text, this was two people who had not spoken to each other, having something stir within their own hearts, and sending me the same message- I am not going to ignore that.

So last night, Josh and I started naming our blessings, starting with things that are material, like having food in our cupboards and fridge, and not just any food like potatoes and grains, but food that for many around the world would be a luxury. Having 2 running vehicles, having jobs, having a comfortable shelter, having enough clothing that the laundry has managed to overwhelm me, and the list went on. Then moved onto the more substantial things. like having great families, friends, each other, having the freedom to seek the things that are important to us, and being able to understand the things we seek. It took us a while to list all the blessing that we have in our lives, even with bundling things together like "family" and "friends" and still felt like there were still things we must have left out.

I decided to bring this up tonight, because quickly my blog about spending less, has turned into a blog about wanting less, and in order to really want less, I need to be thankful enough for the things I have to recognize them as blessings. When actually naming them out loud one by one, it is became amazing how many things we actually have, how many blessings we have been given. Suddenly the shirt I wanted but didn't buy, or the candle that smelled like fall seemed so very trivial compared to everything we have, and can in no way stand up to the treasures we have that are immaterial. I snuggled up to my husband and dog in our very comfortable bed and felt blessed beyond what I could have imagined.

1 comment:

Mesha the Broncos lady :-)) said...

Praise God!!!!!!!