Sunday, September 19, 2010

a slight thaw on my spending freeze

On Thursday night I went to coffee with a friend, and ordered water! Although it was on the calender and I could have bought a coffee and justified it, I felt my five dollars was better served if it stayed in my bank account, as I didn't actually NEED a coffee and I know I would have ordered a high calorie "treat" that I shouldn't have. Later that night I went to the supermarket to buy some food, and coffee, and managed to only buy the things on my very short list. $20 later I was out of the store, armed with the things I needed to make dinner for the game night we were having the next night, and enough pork that Josh would be able to eat off of it for at least three days afterward.

We did crack once, and ended up buying take out when it wasn't scheduled. I wasn't feeling well, and Josh decided that it was better then trying to find something to cook. I feel guilty about spending that $20 and honestly didn't learn anything out of it- we just cracked. Josh isn't much of a cook, and I don't think he even likes to eat his own food. It's easy though, once you crack on your goal to just keep cracking- saying "well we already failed, let's spend money on..." But If we just slip back into bad habits, what was the point of doing this at all?

Today we are back on track, cooking a big pot of chili, as chili and football seem to really enjoy each others company- and I enjoy being in the company of both of them. At about 70 cents a serving so does my wallet. We have 11 days left to go trying to keep our spending on track. I do expect to keep it on track.

1 comment:

Bethany Schweitzer Goshorn said...

Hey, so I don't know how much listening you do to Dave Ramsay but he he recommends http://e-mealz.com/ for meal planning (there are multiple options for low-cal, veggie etc...). I have yet to do it, but I would like to. There's a free week trial. Wanna do it together?